Thursday, January 31, 2008

Crochet Compulsion

I don't have to seriously ask if anyone else is addicted to knitting or looming or crochet, because all I have to do is take one quarter of a lap around the Ravelry forums to know I'm not alone. (Heck, the vast majority of Ravelers spend way more than I do... so far.)
But I have to confess to feeling particularly addicted this week. I cast on for a bath mitt of my own improvised design on Tuesday. The only reason I'm not done with it - and I'm a brand spankin' new crocheter - is because I have to go to a lecture tonight and I want to have it to take with me. I got a few rows done at a club meeting last night and a few more earlier yesterday while listening to a podcast on my lunch break. I've resisted touching it today, which I'm impressed about given that today has been blech.
Anyone who has been reading this blog regularly - and I don't think there's more than maybe one or two of you ;) - knows that I'm taking a leave of absence from my job. Well, that doesn't start until the end of the school year, and I am not patient about the wait. This week, the grading begins, and I think I'm going to have to develop some sort of grade-a-paper-crochet/knit-a-row rule to make sure I get my work done. It's soooo much more interesting for my brain to be thinking about the sweater idea I recently had or the miniature Calla Lily bag I'm planning to test my design modifications before I make a big one. And that's not even when you take into account the time I spend thinking about my writing.
My husband's going out of town next week, and while I hate that in itself, I'm excited about the opportunity to work on editing my novel. I think I've got maybe 30 more days of work on it, but there's no way I'll be able to get more than three days in a normal week. I'm hoping I can get it agent-ready by April or May, and I'm double hoping that doesn't turn out to be a pipe dream.
On one last knitting note, I'm going to try to either take FO pictures this weekend (if the weather clears up) or buy some supplies I need to take better indoor pictures so I can show more FOs, maybe including better Calla Lily shots. If anyone has tips, I'd love to hear them.

1 comment:

Knitting Linguist said...

Hi! Thanks for popping by my blog and commenting -- it's always so much fun to find someone new out there :) I hear you about the need for grading bribes. There are times when I just can't make myself face one more paper. I haven't gotten there yet this semester, but the first batch comes in next week, so check with me then :)